The service is requested as part of the project "Global ODM iRODS integration" whose purpose is to integrate iRODS (https://irods.org/) as virtual file system and backend into Global ODM large file repository while metadata is managed via Global ODM metadata repository.
Global omics data management (ODM) comprises in-house devised infrastructure for metadata and data management of various omics data modalities at Boehringer Ingelheim (BI). Global ODM is composed of three key infrastructure pieces: (i) metadata repository (MDR), (ii) large file repository (LFR), and (iii) matrix repository (MXR). Moreover, the system under considerations must be integrated with existing infrastructure and a user authentication & authorization module developed as part of Global ODM.
Project infrastructure will be based amongst others on cloud technology (AWS, Azure), iRODS, graph and relational database engines. Continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) will be done and if applicable utilizing BI´s OpenDevStack (ODS) environment based on RedHat OpenShift.
The scope of services includes the following tasks, which are expected to be independently performed by the external contractor:
- Technical consultation on system architecture and suitable technology standards for iRODS deployment based on prior experiences
- Definition & documentation of iRODS architecture: Documentation will be submitted & presented to BI for review, discussion and approval.
- Common definition of deployment work packages via project workshops with BI; work packages will be assigned by project management
i. Independent deployment of iRODS into BI´s infrastructure; preferably using BI´s ODS environment or a similar container management platform
ii. Integration of iRODS as LFR backend into existing Global ODM infrastructure spanning AWS (Amazon Web Services) and on premise
iii. Implementation of required micro-services complementing iRODS as LFR subsequent to user requirement analysis (WebDAV, iRODS data ingest service)
- Independent communication with project team members & stakeholders responsible for systems whose service interfaces must be integrated with LFR (BI personnel & further project partners); communication will be done via MS Teams, E-Mail or in project meetings coordinated by project manager; communication to align on technical specifications or user requirements in context of general Global ODM project specifications
- Independent writing of system documentation (implementation decisions, system architecture, system deployment and maintenance) within project´s Confluence space as part of handing over work package result to BI
- Independent definition of work units by splitting assigned work package; managed via project´s Jira space
- Completion of work units according to pre-defined work package (status managed via Jira, code submission via project´s Bitbucket space)
- Providing completed work units (status managed via Jira, code submission via project´s Bitbucket space)
- Tools & technologies to be used
i. Container technologies e.g. Docker
ii. Container management platforms e.g. Kubernetes, AWS EKS, OpenShift (obligatory)
iii. Automation frameworks e.g. Puppet, CloudFormation, RedHat Ansible or HELM
v. AWS S3, AWS EC2
vi. Version control system: Git, project´s Bitbucket space
vii. CI/CD e.g. Jenkins